Friday, March 18, 2011

1960's Popsie Toys by Pride Creations.

Some weird and funny little things came out of the 60's. Popsies are one of my favorite bizarro trends from the mid century.   Developed in Japan in 1963, these pop-up toys were only made for about a decade and then disappeared.  I've learned approximately 175 different styles were made.  All are quite odd/funny looking and sarcastic in tone.

Here are 3 I picked up at the estate sale a few weeks back that had the Paul Laszlo tables.  I spotted these Popsies in one of the pictures posted online, sitting next to a couple of Matryoshka dolls. At the time I did not know what they were but I knew I wanted them because I like little weird chotchkie things.  I got mine for $3 each. I see they can go for $50 up to $150 if still in the box.










Check out this group on Flickr with a huge collection of Popsies.













So cute right?  Does anyone have some of these or do you remember them growing up?

8 comments:

Modernsnap ! said...

How cool are those? I've never seen them before, how is that possible? Hope you are doing well! :)

Krazy4Mod said...

I have never seen these either but I think they are pretty cool. We had rat finks and trolls back "in the day". :)

adriane said...

I've never seen these either, but they are hilarious! What a fun collection.

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

I've never seen them either, but they'd be so much fun to collect. What a hoot!

Marc said...

Awesome find! $3 is a steal for a popsie. Congrats.

Gonked, Glooked and Slurped! said...

Great scores for $3! We've been collecting Popsies for many years and have never gotten any that cheap!

We just found your blog. Keep up the great work!

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

Congrats on the great finds! I never get tired of looking at the popsies. Those are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the new Popsies by Billy Wack Productions - BillyWack.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...