Monday, January 31, 2011

My Willpower Lasted One Day. Sunday Shopping.

Woo Hoo!  I kept myself from shopping for ONE DAY.  Suprised? I'm not.  I did manage to keep myself from 2 estate sales on Saturday because it was such a busy day for me.  Sunday was another story.  We woke to cloudy skies that quickly turned to rain.  I had planned to sand some pieces but with rain that wasn't happening.

What's a girl to do?  Shop of course! I hit an estate sale in Sherman Oaks up in the hills in a gorgeous neighborhood of 60's homes.  That's always a plus.  The sale was huge but didn't really have the type of items that gets me excited.  I did manage to find a retro accordion wine rack, a plastic wall organizer, an old wood-top typewriter or utility cart and a minimalist white spotlight style lamp.  Then it was off to about 5 thrift stores where I picked up a few more things.  I also went by a Craiglist lead to look at some chairs but passed.   Take a look.....

These are the CL chairs. They looked promising in the ad and are only $5 each. In person they looked a little too ice cream parlor-y to me.  I don't care for the bent wood piece underneath the chair on the back legs. Thoughts?

Set of 4 tall back dining chairs in Goodwill.  I like the back of these.  Don't like the idea of refinishing them though. If you're into Hollywood Regency these would look really cool painted white or yellow.  Should I go back for them?

Cute retro wall hanging organizer from the estate sale. This was a popular design in the 60's. I've seen it on metal trays and cups.

Mod teapot made in Japan.  Gorgeous lines that run all the way down the handle.  Love this. I'm keeping it.  Doh! 

Retro flip clock. Love me some flip clocks! I like this one because it has a radio.   I don't particularly like being jolted out of sleep to a buzz or beep noise. 

Blendo set in like-new condition.  Includes one large bowl and 6 small bowls. 

60's rock chip art. Me likie. Me keepie. 

So yes, my willpower lasted one day.  I guess anyone that hunts for vintage, frequents estate sales and so on can understand though. It is quite fun and there is a rush and satisfaction when you find something you love.  

Did you hunt for vintage this weekend? 

11 comments:

Sudha said...

wowie! way to go Dana
and hey loved the organizer. and drool!! over the pot..you really are a hunter!

Rhan Vintage said...

LOL Sudha - I'm Marcy, Dana is Mid2Mod. No problem though!! Thanks!!

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

If I've learned one thing in my 62 years, it's that willpower is highly overrated. It keeps you from eating chocolate and buying cute shoes and makes you pass up great deals like these. Yay for wild abandon! Great finds!

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

I went back and looked at the pieces again and realized the rock chip picture is a decanter. When I looked at it before, I thought it was a cat. Uh, think I ought to get the reading glasses out of my purse? I love the picture, and I love the bowls too. I'm with you about the first chairs. When I saw the bentwood piece, I wasn't as crazy about them. The tall-back chairs would definitely be a nightmare to refinish, but Hollywood Regency seems to be getting more and more popular, so I'm sure they'd sell.

Rhan Vintage said...

Dana, I like the way you think! No more willpower for me. Ha Ha ! Hey, I looked the rock pic after you said that and I can totally see a cat too!

Modernsnap ! said...

You are right on the money on those first set of chairs, ice cream parlor baby. If I were you, I'd get those other chairs though, dreamy! I'm out of $ for thrifting until tomorrow and I think the temp will be a whomping zero degrees so I may have to wait until Wednesday! CABIN FEVER! Boredom! HELP ME! :)

Sudha said...

Hi Marcy
I am so sorry...i came onto the blog after visiting Dana's and i was drowsy i guess...lol..sorry about the confusion...

sudha

Krazy4Mod said...

I'll trade willpower for reckless abandon anytime. I live by the old cliche "you gotta get it while the gettins' good". You got some nice stuff! The teapot is gorgeous. The highback chairs made me go back for several looks. They would look awesome painted and Dana is right about the demands for Hollywood Regency.

Rhan Vintage said...

And so it was. All I needed was a little push in the right direction! Let the hoarding flow!! Really, if I don't go to a sale all I do is wonder what I missed so why the heck am I not going? Go and see what's there right? Hey, I can ALWAYS find a way to store it.

I'm going to see if those chairs are still there but I'm 99% they're gone by now. Nothing cool sits around here for long. Dang it!

Mr. Modtomic said...

The Voice of Reason - I don't buy anything I wouldn't be perfectly happy keeping forever. People are fickle and while I seem to find a new home for just about everything, sometimes it takes a while and people get hung up on some tiniest details.

Rhan Vintage said...

Modtomic, I totally agree. Everything I buy I love. If you try to buy what you think is OK but someone else might like it will bite you in the a**. That way if it never sells I feel okay about it. Hence why I passed on those lame ice cream parlor chairs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...