Saturday, October 16, 2010

Dream Mid Century Dresser & Nightstand SCORE!

Friday morning I slept in.   That's unusual but the rest of the day followed my normal pattern; start the coffee, feed my 3 cats, feed my outside cats (strays I take care of that now just live outside my house), pour big cup of coffee, plop myself in front of the computer, open yahoo mail, open etsy, open mac's mail, open craigslist.  I look at Craigslist free section first, always.

Listed in my city was "Free Dresser" and I had a good feeling before I even opened it.  Inside the ad was a very blurry, out of focus picture of a dresser indeed.  I could barely make out what I thought was a peg leg so I wrote the contact.  I'm thinking "No way this will be available.  It's been up on CL for an hour".   I got a reply back.  Long story short, it was in fact a 1950's dresser and matching nightstand for free.  I drove only about 2 miles to get it, loaded it up and now it's in my bedroom.  I'm in love!

The best part, it's in incredible condition - like new.  It's very well made with dovetail drawers and metal drawer slides.  All wood of course with inlaid pattern to create a very subtle diamond in the center doors.  It also came with a matching mirror.  So, just like that, wake up one morning and now I have an incredible bedroom set for free.  Now I just need to find a headboard......and a Danish bedside lamp.....and a new comforter....sheesh, it never ends huh?  Good thing it's fun to hunt!




7 comments:

Vintage Hunter said...

Awesome! Looks like a great set. Gotta love it when things fall into place like that. Almost makes up for all the times when you *just* miss out on the perfect item. (almost)

Rhan Vintage said...

Exactly - I've missed out on so many things on Craigslist because I was too late. Also, I give a lot away on CL so I figure it all comes back around. This time it was gooooood!

Mr. Modtomic said...

I've been doing so good selling on C-list lately that I gave a homeless guy at the bottom of the offramp $10 today. Karma payment. Maybe he had a good dinner on me.

As far as scoring the "freebies" goes, it never hurts to offer $15 or $20 bucks to hold it 'til you get there. I often offer double the asking price if I see something wildly under priced. It doesn't always work but at least the seller then has an idea that they are selling (or have sold!) too cheap.

Rhan Vintage said...

Agreed - I gave a woman $60 for a pair of mid century dressers she was asking $10 for. Still a great deal at $30 each and it made her day!

Good job on CL! I saw some of your ads - great stuff!

Mr. Modtomic said...

I've been kicking around doing a "How To" post (@ Mr. Modtomic) on building a better Craigslist ad (like mine). What do you think?

Rhan Vintage said...

Love it! I think newbies would like that. Some people just don't know the ins and outs because they've never done it before.

Sudha said...

wow!! good things (read miracles) do happen :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...